- What personal information we collect, and how we collect that information
- Why we use or process personal information
- How and where we disclose personal information
- Our efforts to protect personal information
- How long we keep personal information
- Your rights regarding your personal information
- Additional marketing notice
1. Categories of personal information we collect, and how we collect that information:
We collect information or data about you or that can be used to identify you, such as your name, address(es), telephone number(s), e-mail address(es), professional experience, professional affiliations, or other information or data (“personal information”) when you voluntarily choose to disclose such information to us, directly or indirectly through a representative. For example, you may disclose personal information to us when you submit information by mail, telephone, fax, or electronically, when you sign up for newsletters, alerts, whitepapers, legal insights and other marketing communications, or when you sign up to attend an event or program in person or online, or to apply for a position with us.
We also collect personal information when you apply for a position, such as a partner, employee or intern, through a recruiter. This personal information could include, among other things, educational background, school transcripts, writing samples, current and prior employment, qualification details, professional licenses, references, national ID number or work permits to work in the jurisdictions for which you applied, and photo.
We collected the above personal information from the described sources during the preceding 12 months and use or process the information for the purposes described in section 2 below.
We do not direct any of our websites to children or individuals under eighteen (18) years of age. Individuals under eighteen (18) should consult with their parent or guardian about the use of this website.
2. Why we use or process personal information:
We only use your personal information for a legal and legitimate interest, such as:
- Legal Services: We will use and process your personal information for providing legal services, promoting and marketing our legal services, assisting with managing, enhancing and improving our legal services, communicating with you about those legal services, and complying with our legal and ethical obligations related to those legal services.
- Recruiting: If you are a candidate for a position with the firm, we will use personal information about you in connection with recruiting you, processing your application for the position, or, if applicable, extending an offer to you or hiring you. Where the information provided is sensitive (such as your ethnic background or your state of health) you expressly consent to our use of the information to assess your application and to allow us to carry out equal opportunities monitoring. You may also provide us with your email address to receive information on open positions with our firm. Doing so could trigger an email from us inviting you to complete an application or to send your curriculum vitae, resume or other information.
- Marketing: We may process certain of your personal information for direct marketing based on your consent. You have the option to withdrawing your consent at any time. We also may process your location data, IP address, and content viewed on our websites pursuant to our Cookies Policy. For more information on our marketing practices, see the Additional Marketing Notice below.
- Contract performance: We may use or process personal information in connection with pre-contract activities and discussion with you, and to perform a contract that we have with you.
- Legal obligations: We will use or process personal information as necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject. This includes using or processing personal information for defense of claims against us and satisfying any government reporting obligations and requests.
- Other legitimate interests:We will process your personal information for any of our other legitimate interests not described above. These include analyzing use of our website or services, tailoring website and news content, setting preferences in our website or electronic mailings, improving our websites, offering and managing programs and events, fulfilling our obligations to our clients and others, and managing our client and vendor relationships.
3. How and where we disclose personal information
We operate our website from the United States of America and store the information we collect through our websites in the United States of America. We market and provide legal services, however, in many countries throughout the world. Accordingly, we will disclose information collected through our websites, as well as other personal information, across offices and geographical boundaries, within and outside of the firm, for legal and legitimate purposes as described above.
We will also disclose your personal information to service providers that perform services for us and who are obligated to secure the information, such as barristers, special consultants, expert witnesses other outsourced service providers, continuing legal education providers, information technology suppliers, analytics providers, mailing providers, joint marketing or event providers, caterers, and security providers. These service providers may be located anywhere in the world.
We may also disclose your personal information as required by a court order or any other legal or regulatory requirement, including in response to requests from public and government authorities outside your country of residence or to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, or that of you or others anywhere in the world.
4. Our efforts to protect personal information
We take reasonable measures to protect personal information from misuse, interference, and unauthorized loss, access, modification or disclosure. We undertake industry standard data protection practices, including by deploying a variety of commercially available software and hardware security tools. We will take such measures with respect to your personal information using security measures that we use for personal information of others, and we will do so in compliance with all applicable data protection laws and our professional secrecy and ethical obligations. Unfortunately, despite such measures, no data transmission over the Internet and no database or other depository of information can be one hundred percent secure. As a result, while we will strive to protect your personal information, we cannot and do not guarantee or warrant the security of any of your personal information. We will not be and are not liable for disclosures of your personal information due to errors in transmission, networks that we do not control, or unauthorized acts of third parties.
5. How long we keep personal information
If you have applied for a specific position with us and join us for that or any other position, your personal information will retained for at least so long as you continue to retain a position with us and thereafter for at least the minimum period required by applicable law. If you have applied for a position with us but do not join us for that or any other position or if you did not apply for a specific position, we may retain your personal information in order to consider you for any future positions. We will do so, however, only if you grant your consent to such extended retention. If you do not grant such consent, then we will retain your personal information only as necessary to comply with all applicable laws.
Except for applications for positions as provided above, we will keep your personal information until such time as we no longer expect to need to use it for any legal and legitimate purpose and otherwise in accordance with all applicable laws. At the appropriate time, we will take reasonable steps to destroy your personal information or ensure that your personal information is de-identified, except were we need to retain such information to satisfy legal and professional ethical obligations.
6. Your rights with regard to your personal information
Subject to local law, you may have certain rights regarding personal information we have collected about you. Such rights might include the right to (a) know what personal information we have collected about you, (b) know what personal information about you was disclosed to third parties, (c) update or correct such information if you believe there is an inaccuracy, (d) restrict the processing of your personal information, (e) request deletion of your personal information, (f) object to our use of your personal information, or (g) request transmission of your personal information to another data controller. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of these privacy rights, except that the deletion of your personal information may prevent us from providing you content, invitation, or benefit that depends on the processing of your personal information.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights provided under local law, you can contact us at:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org; or
If you would like to make a complaint about how we handled your personal information or make a complaint about a breach of data protection laws, please contact us using the contact information described above. Complaints will be investigated and the outcome of the investigation will be communicated to you after the complaint is made in accordance with applicable law. You may have a right in some locations to file a complaint with your local data protection authority.
7. Additional marketing notice
We may process additional personal information provided by you for marketing purposes, for example in correspondence relating to an event, when you let us know what legal areas you are interested in, and when you wish to be contacted by us. This may include access or dietary requirements which may reveal information about your health or religious beliefs.
Your personal information may also be collected in our relationship management system when you register online to receive legal updates, or when we otherwise receive your contact details. You will receive a confirmation notice when your details have been added to our relationship management system. You can update or request, however, to have your data removed from our relationship management at any time by visiting our preferences page. You also will be provided with the option to unsubscribe or opt-out from receiving further marketing communications by following the instructions at the bottom of each communication.
8. Limitation on scope of Policy:
Cohn & Dussi may be required to disclose an individual’s personal information in response to a lawful request by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
9. Changes to this Policy:
This Policy may be amended from time to time, at Cohn & Dussi’s sole discretion, consistent with the requirements of the applicable law. The revisions will take effect on the date of publication of the amended policy, as stated.
Cohn & Dussi, LLC
68 Harrison Avenue, Suite 502
Boston, MA 02111
Attn: Privacy Officer
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 2021