William J. Delaney
781-494-0200 EXT: 236
William J. Delaney is a commercial attorney specializing in insolvency law in Rhode Island, as well as several other New England states. He served as a member of the Chapter 7 Panel of Bankruptcy Trustees for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Rhode Island in the mid 1990’s and has acted as a Receiver and Special Master in Rhode Island Superior Court proceedings for over 28 years. Bill has had an active role as an attorney in many of the significant commercial law/insolvency cases in Rhode Island over the past 34 years.
Bill has extensive experience in drafting commercial loan documents as well as enforcing them over the years in state and federal courts. He has also served as a mediator and arbitrator in several state and federal proceedings.
Bill holds an AB from the University of Notre Dame, his MBA from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, his JD from Albany Law School of Union University and an LLM in American Banking Law from Boston University Law School. He is a Past President of the Rhode Island Bar Association and has been a long-time member of the American Bankruptcy Institute. He is admitted to practice in seven states and regularly practices in each in the areas of commercial/bankruptcy/insolvency law. He was a recipient of the Rhode Island Bar Association’s Pro Bono Publico and Continuing Service Awards.
Bill has been honored to serve over the past two decades at Suffolk University Law School, Western New England School of Law and Roger Williams University School of Law as an Adjunct Professor of Law lecturing on Sales, Commercial Paper/Payment Systems, Secured Transactions, Banking Law, Bankruptcy, Commercial Real Estate Leasing, Banking Law and two drafting courses he created, Commercial Loan Documentation-Drafting and Commercial Loan Documentation-Workouts. He also is a lecturer for CLE State Bar programs on regional and national forums.
Admitted to Practice in the following Jurisdictions in State and Federal Courts (including Bankruptcy Courts):
- Rhode Island
- New York
- New Hampshire
- US Supreme Court
- US Tax Court
- Boston University Law School, LLM in American Banking Law, 1991
- Albany Law School of Union University, JD, 1983
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, MBA, 1979
- University of Notre Dame, A.B., 1976
- In re: City of Central Falls, Rhode Island (Bankr. D. R.I.)
- In re Newport Creamery, Inc. (Bankr. D. R.I.)
- In re Strandberg (Bankr. D. R.I.)
- In re Pontes (Bankr. D. R.I.)
- In re American Shipyard Corp. (Bankr. D. R.I.)
- In re Bess Eaton Flour Co., Inc. (Bankr. D. R.I.)
- In re Gilded Age Properties, LLC (Bankr. D. R.I.)
- NV One, et als v. Potomac Realty Capital, LLC, et als (Providence Superior and Supreme Courts)
- Boat World, In Receivership
- NRIPIC, In Receivership
- In re David (R.I. Supreme Court)
Law Review Publications
- Survey Note, Constitutional Law, Gem Plumbing & Heating Co., Inc. v. Rossi, 11 Roger Williams U. L. Rev. 765 (2006).
- Survey Note, Bankruptcy Law/Workers’ Compensation Law, Dept. Labor & Training v. Derderian, 12 Roger Williams U. L. Rev. 472 (2007).
- Survey Note, Property Law/Constitutional Law/Mechanics’ Lien Law, F.C.C., Inc. v. Reuter, et al, 12 Roger Williams U. L. Rev. 631 (2007).
- Dedication, The Honorable Arthur N. Votolato, 18 Roger Williams U. L. Rev. 165 (2013).