Lewis J. Cohn
781-494-0200 EXT: 211
Lewis J. Cohn is the Managing Partner of Cohn & Dussi and chairs the firm’s Financial Services Practice, which includes the Banking, Finance, Equipment Leasing, Secured Lending, Alternative Lending, Factoring, Creditors’ Rights and Bankruptcy Groups.
Lewis’s practice is concentrated in representing lenders in all phases of the commercial loan process, with a special expertise in the collection, workout and liquidation of troubled debt. As head of the Financial Services Group, Lewis has represented secured and unsecured lenders, financial institutions and equipment lessors in a wide range on complex transactions. Working closely with the firm’s Commercial Litigation Group, Lewis handles a wide variety of commercial litigation cases for the Financial Services Practice, including injunctions and attachment proceedings.
Lewis is an aggressive attorney with a primary goal of providing clients with the most effective and economical solutions to their legal issues. He brings a broad background of litigation experience, regularly appearing before the state, federal and bankruptcy courts. He is also a frequent speaker at equipment leasing and finance educational seminars and conferences.
Lewis holds a LL.M. in Taxation from Boston University School of Law and a J.D. from Suffolk University School of Law. He is a member of the Massachusetts and District of Columbia Bars. He is also a member of the Equipment Lease and Finance Association (ELFA), the National Equipment Finance Association and its Legal Committee (NEFA), the Lease Enforcement Attorney Network (LEAN), The New York Institute of Credit (NYIC), The Massachusetts Bankers Association and the Northeast Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association (TMA).
- Massachusetts and District of Columbia Bars
- MA Real Estate Broker
- Alternative Finance Bar Association (AFBA)
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI)
- Equipment Lease and Finance Association (ELFA)
- Legal Committee, National Equipment Finance Association (NEFA)
- Legal Committee, Lease Enforcement Attorney Network (LEAN)
- Massachusetts Assisted Living Association (MASS ALA)
- Massachusetts Bankers Association
- New York Institute of Credit (NYIC)
- Secured Finance Network (SFNET)
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA), Northeast Chapter
- Boston University School of Law, LLM. in Taxation,1991
- Suffolk University School of Law, J.D., 1988
- University of Massachusetts Amherst, BBA in Accounting,1985
- Handled workout of $100 million equipment lease/finance portfolio
- Represented national lender in loan enforcement proceedings after default seeking foreclosure and appointment of receiver over business collateral
- Represented lender in enforcement of lien and security interests in real property and FF&E with multiple franchise operations of national restaurant chain
- Represented equipment leasing & finance company in enforcement and recovery of construction equipment from multiple location excavation operation
- Represented equipment leasing company’s interest in bankruptcy regarding assumption/rejection issues and clarification of true lease vs. lease intended for security
- Represented landlord to evict operating fitness facility in commercial building
- Represented equipment leasing & finance equipment company to repossess fitness equipment from lessor in three locations throughout Boston with forcible entry
- Represented commercial landlord interests in bankruptcy that involved lease assumption and rejection issues under Bankruptcy Code